Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce)

Q. I just moved to Washington and want to divorce my husband. What do you suggest I do?

A. Move back to the state from which you came. Washington has a 6 month residence requirement before you can even file for a divorce. If you can wait 6 months, the divorce procedure is fairly simple, if your marriage is irretrievably broken.


Q. I just left my husband. We are not desirous of a court battle over our property. Can a settlement be made. to avoid a court battle?

A. Yes. A property and separation agreement can be written if both parties agree and if husband and wife can concur on property distribution, alimony, and child support, custody and visitation rights. Such agreements should be reviewed by attorneys representing each party, as the attorney drafting the agreement can only represent one party. All signatures on the document should be notarized.


Q. I recently moved to Washington and need advise regarding divorce. My wife and I own extensive properties in Arizona. My wife is very much against the divorce and refuses to sign any agreements. Will Washington courts divide the property in Arizona if one party still lives in Arizona?

A. No. The Washington courts will grant a divorce if one party has lived in Washington for 6 months, but will not generally make property settlement agreements on out-of-state property under the above circumstances.


Q. What does a divorce cost?

A. I presume your question refers to court costs, filing fees, and attorney fees. In Mason County, the present filing fee is $220.00 and the service of summons fee is $40.00 by the Sheriff or $60.00 by a special process server.  Keep in mind that fees differ from county to county and are subject to change, so you should contact your local courthouse to determine present costs.  The attorney fees vary upon several factors.